Thursday, June 28, 2012

DIY: Dip Dye Hair

My sister recently approached me about wanting to dye the ends of her hair. Although I was a little resistant, she assured me that she could just cut it off if she didn't like it. Having never done this before, I researched a little and got to work. Here's how I did it.
xx,
Andrea

Materials Needed:
- Hair bleach. I recommend lightening your hair if its on the darker side so that the color can appear bright.
- Bright hair dye of your choice. (we used a semi-permanent color)
- Mixing bowl
- Dye brush applicator
- Latex gloves (or not if you don't mind staining your hands)
- Comb
- Hair tie

Step 1: Braid the hair and apply the bleach to the very end of the hair. I combed through the hair to make sure the bleach was applied to every strand. It also helps to divide the hair into sections. I let the bleach sit for about 15 minutes, but it all depends on how fast the hair lightens so I recommended keeping a close eye on it. This is not the time to paint your nails.

Step: 2
Once the hair has lightened to your desired color, wash it out and dry the hair completely. It's really important to make sure the hair is completely dry. Next, mix the colored dye and apply to the lower half of your bleached ends. After that, mix a little water into the dye and apply to the top half.  This helps to lighten the color so its not so hard. I didn't apply the color to the top of the bleach because I wanted it to be gradual from the bleach into the color. I also "feathered" the color at the top, basically I held the brush vertically and made light brush marks. After all the color was applied, I left it on for 30 minutes.

Step 3: After the 30 minutes have passed, wash the color completely out and enjoy your new summer look!
 *All images via Andrea for Our Mismatched Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment