Monday, January 9, 2012

Word of Mouth: SON OF A GUN

Hey there, it's Andrea. Word of Mouth. It is what it is, a blog post where we write words about the food and drinks that we have tasted. Ready, set, go!

Last week Jdub and I missed SD, which meant that it was the perfect opportunity for drinks and eats! I had been hearing lots about Son of a Gun, so we all agreed to try it out. Son of a Gun is owned by the same 2 chefs that run Animal (another tasty place), Vinny Dotolo and Jon Shook. I had no luck getting a reservation but was told by the hostess that I could try and get in at the first-come, first-serve communal table, so we took our chances. We walked right in and were seated immediately. The seating was a little tight, so if you don't mind having a convo with the random person next to you, it won't be so bad. Also, try not to blink when you are looking for the place, its SO tiny you can easily get lost trying to find it.

We started off the night with drinks, of course. SD and I opted for the Moscow Mule. Presentation was great. I felt like I was Oprah drinking a moscow mule out of a tin cup while camping.


Secondly, was the shrimp toast with sriracha mayo. I had heard that this is something you have to try while visiting this restaurant. Honestly, we didn't think it was the best and that the sriracha was nowhere to be found on the plate. It was lacking some kick.


Next up, were the oysters on the half shell. Simple and everything you would expect from fresh and yummy goodness.


Ok, this next dish was AMAZING!!!!! Seriously, we were still talking about it the next day. Ham, honey butter, and cornbread. Mix all these ingredients and you have heaven on a plate. The creamy butter, sweet ham, and crisp cornbread worked so well together.


Amberjack crudo with watermelon radish. Very fresh but I wasn't impressed. Felt like it was something I could've ordered at Katsuya, not that there is anything wrong with that :)


Roasted escolar with truffled pomme puree and chicken jus. It was between this and the fried chicken sandwich. This dish was great, but I will definitely be getting the sandwich next time.


Linguine with clams. Loved it, highly recommend it!


Lastly, we got the shrimp with lime mustard sauce. A very, messy to eat dish, but totally worth it. The staff makes sure to give you warm towels for cleanup.


Overall, I really enjoyed my time here. The laid back ambience made you feel right at home. I can't wait to go back.

Son Of A Gun
8370 W. 3rd Street Los Angeles, CA 90048
(323) 782-9033

 

No comments:

Post a Comment